9.11.2010

Never Forget Means We'll Always Remember

This is the garrison flag which was hung on the side of the Pentagon for a month after the 9-11 attacks.  Note the soot marks?  Those are original, in addition to a tear from being against the damaged building.

It's never to fly again, out of respect for those who lost their lives that day.

Since being lowered and folded with full military honors October 11th, 2001 it was displayed in the Smithsonian Museum until 2006.

My husband, his parents, and I had the privilege of standing a matter of feet from it while we were in D.C. for Mr LKP's medical scare with the military.  Let me just say, standing in front of it stirred quite a reverence inside me.   Respect for those who lost their lives....gratitude for all who helped at the Pentagon, as well as Ground Zero, and in PA....appreciation for my Heavenly Father for helping our country heal following these tragedies.

Today, all I have is a picture of this flag in a book on my shelf.  But it's enough to stir again those same thoughts & feelings.

These are things I've only experienced to this degree once since then, and that was when my mother, brother, & I visited the Oklahoma City National Memorial in 2006.

Our visit happened in the middle of the night due to when we came through on our road trip.  Glad we visited then, as it was all lit up, and no one else was there besides us and security.  Standing in the Gates of time, and gazing across the reflecting pool to the second gate was humbling.

Hallowed.  That's what that is.

We stood there on the ground which shook as last breaths were taken.  I touched the section of wall that still stands following the blast...as well as the Survivor Tree.  Holding back the tears is not an option.

I know these days of tragedy are years apart, however both are on my mind today, as both changed so many dynamics in the United States.  Each time we felt closer together as Americans.

I do mourn the loss of those who were taken so abruptly from us.  But today I mostly mourn those of us who are still here who have lost the tenacity that's part of surviving, and part of being American.

Many of us are doing our best to remember & to do right by those who are gone.  Unfortunately there are some who seem to have forgotten altogether.

Why is it so easy to sport a bumper sticker stating "Never Forget"...or fly a U.S. flag for a few years, only to then think that we've done enough?

The legacy of the victims demands so much more from this country.  We must do more to stick together as a country.  We must remember the foundation this country was founded on.  We must support those in the armed forces who are protecting these ideals...and procuring freedom for others constantly.

Our job's not done.
We can't become complacent simply because it's been 9 years.
We owe them more...so we must truly never forget which means we'll ALWAYS remember...which means we'll be ACTIVELY ENGAGED in our patriotism. 

P.S.
If you haven't had the opportunity to read this book, Let's Roll!, please do.  You won't be sorry.  It leaves its reader wanting to be a better patriot, and a more effective person.

1 comment:

S.I.F. said...

Beautiful post lady... I love it and love you!

Spread Your Love For the Gusty Ridge Ranch

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Gratitude Accessed Here