8.10.2010

What I Believe: I Like Who I Am

"Who can find a virtuous woman?  for her price is far above rubies."  
"Your Father in Heaven knows your name and knows your circumstances.  He hears your prayers.  He knows your hopes and dreams, including your fears and frustrations.  And He knows what you can become through faith."
("To Young Women" by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, Ensign, November 2005, pg 28-30)
  
I like who I am.  

"You are literally a spirit daughter of heavenly parents with a divine nature and an eternal destiny.  That surpassing truth should be fixed deep in your soul and be fundamental to every decision you make..."
("To Young Women" by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, Ensign, November 2005, pg 28-30)

I like who I came to this earth as.

I like the family I was born into.

I like the family I married into.

I like that I'm a girl.  This means that I get to be a wife and a mother and an aunt and a sister and a daughter and a granddaughter, and yes even the fact that I get to be a daughter-in-law & a sister-in-law.

"All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose. 

In the premortal realm, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshiped God as their Eternal Father and accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize his or her divine destiny as an heir of eternal life."  (The Family: A Proclamation to the World)

I like my talents.

I even like my weaknesses.  Then I have the opportunity to turn them into my strengths.  Which brings to mind...

I like my strengths.


I like my relationship with my Heavenly Father.

"Be a woman of Christ.  Cherish your esteemed place in the sight of God.  He needs you.  This Church needs you.  The world needs you.  A woman's abiding trust in God and unfailing devotion to things of the Spirit have always been an anchor when the wind and the waves of life were fiercest.

I say to you what the Prophet Joseph said more than 150 years ago: "If you live up to your privileges, the angels cannot be restrained from being your associates.""
("To Young Women" by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, Ensign, November 2005, pg 28-30)

I like that I'm Mr LKP's one & only.  I'm one lucky lady.

I like that I'm Mini-Me's mom...the one who waits with baited breath for what she can teach me.

I like that I have the Gospel in my life.

I like that I have frequent opportunities to serve others, which is the pattern Jesus Christ set for all of us: to love & serve one another.


I have an idea of what I would most enjoy being shaped like.  However because of what I've come to learn about myself, I like the body God has given me, just as it is.

I may not be the biggest fan of how short my legs are, but I like how tiny my feet are!

"In terms of preoccupation with self and a fixation on the physical, this is more than social insanity; it is spiritually destructive, and it accounts for much of the unhappiness women, including young women, face in the modern world.  And if adults are preoccupied with appearance-tucking and nipping and implanting and remodeling everything that can be remodeled-those pressures and anxieties will certainly seep through to children."  
("To Young Women" by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, Ensign, November 2005, pg 28-30)

I like that my brain works the way it does.

I like all that God has given me, all that He does now give me, and all that He plans to continue giving me.

I like who I am...becoming.

"Every young woman is a child of destiny and every adult woman a powerful force for good.  I mention adult women because, sisters, you are our greatest examples and resource for these young women...there is no universal optimum size."
("To Young Women" by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, Ensign, November 2005, pg 28-30)
 
I like who I am.



(For your own copy of The Family-A Proclamation to the World, visit below.)

7 comments:

CB said...

Amen! I did a post on Sunday about Being Garateful to know I Am A Daughter of God and I truly am grateful for that knowledge in this crazy world!!!
The Proclamation is an amazing document - so grateful to have that in my home and in my life!!
Hope you have a great day Girlie - you are awesome!!!

Sonora said...

What a powerful and wonderful post! I really needed to read this. I have been struggling in my life and this was just what I needed. Thank you!!

Chels said...

Gosh I wish I had the strength to say all those things every day. Thanks goodness for the gospel!

jen said...

What a great post. I love all the quotes to back up what you think. I agree. I'd never trade for anything!

EYE can make that! said...

Wow!
What a powerful post...
Just what I needed to start the day.
Hope you have a wonderful day.
It's still raining here :( It's a public holiday so a nice lazy day for us.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Beautiful post! You are wise beyond your years my dear!

Yay! I could post!

Kim said...

I am so thankful you visited my blog today. As I was going through some of your posts this one touched me to the core. I definately am struggling and I am definately going to read the talk you quoted. These are the moments I wish I could just hug and hug and hug you. Thanks again.

Spread Your Love For the Gusty Ridge Ranch

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Gratitude Accessed Here