11.11.2008

Now you see it, Now you don't!

(No disrespect to Veterans today, since I'm EXTREMELY thankful for them, their service, their sacrifices...truly, valiant examples have shaped my life: Great-grandfathers, Grandfathers, my Father-in-Law, my Brother-in-Law, countless other family members and friends, and of course Seth. I appreciate the liberties and freedoms secured on my behalf.)

TODAY I AM GRATEFUL FOR SEAM RIPPERS. If you're like me, great object lessons come out of the blue and knock you smack in the forehead! This was again the case tonight. I was working on some new kitchen curtains, and feeling pretty confident, hemming right along. I was distracted by thoughts of how great they'll be above my sink and then IT happened! I looked down to see my fabric bunched up, threads knotted, and my heart broken at the whole ordeal. So, I collected myself, cleared my fabric out of the machine, and reached for my handy dandy seam ripper. An obvious "next step" for anyone who sews, however my heart was touched as I was taught by the Spirit. How many times in life do we cruise along feeling overly confident that we've got things under control, only to realize we've strayed from the plan? We stand there confused as to HOW we got there, and WHERE to begin to sort out our mess. Rather than tugging & tearing at it or worse, just tossing it aside and giving up, if we just take Christ up on His offer to help us cut through it all, we can start again. Just like that handy dandy seam ripper, He helps us clear the chaos. Sometimes there's damage to fragile fibers, however, with His help, the damage is limited. Through delicate & hard work we can be as good as new, with our minor scars out of sight. "That through his atonement, and by obedience to the principles of the gospel, mankind might be saved." -D&C 138:4 Plain as day, the Savior's Atonement is our spiritual seam ripper. When we're in a bind, His power to heal is always on standby, just as our favorite seamstress tool sits in our machine's compartment...all we must do is reach out and utilize it. When correctly applied, its healing properties are real. May you be blessed by this truth I was reminded of tonight. I promise that when you reach for that seam ripper, the truth of Christ's Atonement will be there! =)

2 comments:

Jan said...

I was thinking about the Atonement too when you started talking about the rippers. Love that. I think I am going to get a new one and put it on my kitchen window sill to look at. I have a few things that need to be ripped out and redone. Thanks.

The Evanites Tribe said...

that was great as soon as i saw the seam ripper i totally got it! great object lesson!

Spread Your Love For the Gusty Ridge Ranch

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Gratitude Accessed Here