11.01.2010

My Husband is Like Well-Aged Cheese


Don't get me wrong.  Hear me out....

Aside from the fact I didn't actually fall asleep until 8am, today was gonna be a good day!  Why?  Well, not only was it the first day of November, but last night before Mr LKP went to bed, his boss had called and said there was no work today, but that their schedule would be non-stop, Tuesday through the end of the week.  Ya know what that meant?.....

OUR FIRST 'SNOW DAY' OF THE SEASON!!!!!
(No, no snow on the ground here...yet.  Snow Day just sounds more fun than 'playing hooky'.)

Oh man, I was totally stoked!  Our Snow Day was going to be fantabulouso, at least as soon as I was able to get a few hours of shut-eye under my belt.

It started out grand too, before I dozed off, Mr LKP made me breakfast (that sweet man), and even cleaned my sticky maple syrup'd chin!  However, lesson learned?

Don't close your eyes in the morning....when the sun's already up....and so is the rest of the world.... 

Mr LKP's boss called around 10am, when my eyes were finally shut & I was lightly sawing logs.  Turned out he needed to cancel our SNOW DAY, as there was work today afterall!  

Now I am not ungrateful for the work opportunities Heavenly Father's blessing our family with.  In fact I'm extremely grateful.  But I would be lying if I denied that pouting, on my part, definitely ensued.  Literally, the moment Mr LKP got off the phone, my eyes sprang open and I just KNEW that our day of togetherness (and putting up that overdue, and much anticipated new shower curtain rod) had met its demise.

"Marriage in its truest sense, is a partnership of equals, with neither exercising dominion over the other, but, rather, with each encouraging and assisting the other in whatever responsibilities and aspirations he or she might have."
Gordon B. Hinckley


With Mr LKP, out winning us some bread, the day still went on like clockwork
(well, as much as a sick-day can, I guess) Despite all our mini-successes & joys, I still missed Mr LKP profusely(Is that weird?  I mean we've been together almost 9 years now---should I still feel this lost without him?  Irregular or not, it is what it is.)

Which brings us back to the question of:  

Why, then, is my husband like well-aged cheese? (A big old block or wheel of Tillamook to be precise.)

Simple answer: My heart craves his presence in my life the way my taste-buds demand they have cheese at every meal, and each snack in between!


Because when I've run out of time with him I'm beside myself, and miss the ways that he enriches my life with his one liners, with his hugs, and his innate abilities to make me smile no matter what.  A taste of that same feeling occurs when you go to make that PERFECT sandwich, only to open the little drawer in the fridge and find that you are without your crowing glory:  the cheese.  

Also, once I've been patient enough and have him back, it's always been well-worth the wait because his company is that much more delicious, his wit is that much funnier, and he chases the mundane-ness of my life away.  Much like when you're standing in Costco, ceremoniously lowering that 2lb hunk of Tillamook Vintage White Extra Sharp Cheddar Heaven (aged 3 years!) into your cart...  How can you NOT want to strike-up the brass band, and twirl and promenade that glorious cheese about the entire warehouse (think ala Broadway musical style, like Carousel, Singin' in the Rain, State Fair, The Music Man, My Fair Lady, or even An American in Paris)...complete with your own fair share of jazz hands?!?

Mr LKP's the life of the party.  Think about it, no party is complete without a good cheese platter.  He is the same way.  I've never seen a room that does not belong to him in the end.  All he has to do is open his mouth, and the party cannot resist flocking to him.  This is because his nature is one that instantly puts others at ease and leaves them in stitches.  He makes a person feel like a better, happier, more complete them just by talking with them.  He validates those with whom is with.
   Therefore, he's in great demand.

I'm even slightly convinced that everybody likes him more than they like me.  And I am totally okay with that!  Heck, I like him more than I like me.  


Mr LKP completes me, in every good way.  (:

Plus, you know how those perfect little slices of cheese call to you from the platter, across the party?  All those lovely, buttery Havarti notes...and the tones of Sharp Cheddar....the zesty zip of the pepper jack....and the delicate Laced-Swiss slices.....
Tantalizing, no?   Well that's what his smile does for me!
"Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, but with great purpose in heart."
Gordon B. Hinckley

Mr LKP is half of why I twinkle....he's half of why I smile...he IS my Tillamook cheese...and I 'm so incredibly grateful to be his abundantly blessed wife! 


4 comments:

NaDell said...

I'm loving your insights and love. It's the best to pick someone to grow "old" with and still like to spend time with them. =)

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

You are too hilarious!
My first thought was some stinky cheese or something.

I love your words.

Now go enjoy you some Tillamook!

mCat said...

I want you to know, I read every single word of this. Even though it had CHEESE, like every other word and you KNOW how I feel about that.

I love you that much. : )

xoxoxxo

S.I.F. said...

Great! Now I want some cheese! :p

Seriously, I think this is the perfect description! I just love it!!

And I also adored the movie Lucky Seven! So cute!!

Spread Your Love For the Gusty Ridge Ranch

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Gratitude Accessed Here